The Upper Burnett Water Supply Scheme consists of four storages: Wuruma Dam on the Nogo River, John Goleby Weir on the Burnett River upstream of Ceratodus, Jones on the Burnett River at Mundubbera, and Claude Wharton Weir on the Burnett River at Gayndah.
The major storage for the Upper Burnett Water Supply Scheme is Wuruma Dam, situated approximately 48 kilometres northwest of Eidsvold on the Nogo River, which is a tributary of the Burnett River. The dam was designed and constructed primarily for the purpose of maintaining a regulated supply. The dam together with the Mundubbera Weir, which is located about 88km downstream on the Burnett River, was designed to supply water sufficient to irrigate some 4450 hectares of land along 165 kilometres of the Burnett River to Mingo crossing. Wuruma Dam was constructed between 1965-1968.
Jones Weir is located on the Burnett River at Mundubbera Township. Construction of the weir commenced on 1 April 1947 and was commissioned in June 1951. It is one of the oldest concrete weirs commissioned in Queensland and was constructed to supply water inter alia to a fledgling citrus industry and the dairy industry.
Uses of Water
The Upper Burnett Water Supply Scheme supplies water for the irrigation of citrus, small crops and dairy farming.
Urban Water Supplies
The Wuruma Dam has improved the water supply to the towns of Eidsvold, Mundubbera, and Gayndah.
The Wuruma Dam is situated on the Nogo River, 23 kilometres upstream from its junction with the Burnett River, and some 48 kilometres from the town of Eidsvold.